.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
It's news to me
Thursday, December 02, 2004
 
Flickr getting high praise from all over
Flickr continues to get praised from all quarters, and I have to agree.

In this post in the yesterday's technology column at the Globe and Mail website, Donald Melanson points out that the service is platform independent, meaning it can be used whether you are using a MAC, a PC or a Unix/Linux box. He says, "Parts of Flickr look a lot more like a desktop application than a web page, but no special software needs to be installed on the computer and nothing is dependent on a particular operating system."

Then Tom Lauer writes in his column yesterday that "At its most basic level, Flickr allows people to upload images, describe them, and then allow others to discuss them. Throw in a bunch of features such as slide shows, notes, RSS/Atom feeds, groups, tags and weblog integration tools, and you have one of the best community building tools found on the web." I should point out that lately the pictures I've been posting here on my blog have all been integrated by way of Flickr.

And Bob DuCharme says, "I love the free picture-sharing website flickr. I love how I can upload pictures and add as much or as little descriptive metadata as I wish. I can point anyone to these pictures, and they can just view them with no need to register. (For example, see these alien head prizes in Cape May, New Jersey, waiting for the lucky children who accumulate enough tickets to win them at the little boardwalk's arcade.) I can even add tags to a web page to insert thumbnails of randomly selected pictures from my flickr collection into that web page, complete with a link to the full size version, as I did recently to my home page."

Finally, Kareem gives the site high praise in this post from November 24th at his blog.

If you are tired of sending photos by email to family and friends and perhaps having to send them more than once to different people, you can't go wrong by heading over to the Flickr website and investigating this tool. You won't regret the time you spend learning about it by taking the tour. And just for the record, here's the link to my photos on Flickr.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger