.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
It's news to me
Sunday, May 26, 2002
 
Although the timestamp on this post indicates that it's 10:55 AM, that isn't exactly accurate where I am. I'm posting one last time from Stan and Georgia's home here in Escondido, CA, so here it is almost 8:00 AM. I leave this morning for the airport and my return to Knoxville, via Atlanta.

It's been a very relaxing three days visiting with my friends. Almost like going away to a South Seas Island where I was undistrubed by all the things that usually occupy my attention, I feel quite rejuvenated and ready to get back to my usual activities. "Be it ever so humble" and all that ...

During my visit, Stan and I discussed collaborating on a re-issue of his 1979 book, "Authentic Management," updating it to take into consideration the particular problems associated with being authentic in online communications and when working in virtual teams. A lot has changed in the work world since 1979, and though the needs of people have remained relatively constant, even they have undergone a shift. Whereas only 20 or so years ago people still had a loyalty to the companies they worked for and companies structured their policies and benefits to try to retain the employees they had, today the longevity of someone's employment with a company is rarely longer than 5 years. So I think taking a fresh look at the perspectives of that book will be an interesting experience. Our discussions during my visit here should help to make our collaboration over the net a bit richer.

Though I leave here with a bit of sadness at seeing the time come to an end, I am eager to get back to my own digs, to the familiarity of the messy piles of paper in my office, to my own bookmarks in the browser, to all those things that make one comfortable being in his own home. Off, therefore, I am to home.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger