.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
It's news to me
Wednesday, July 21, 2004
 
The other shoe falls ...
Yesterday afternoon, our Operations Manager called us all together to announce that BellSouth, who last month announced that they were giving their customer service business to our competitor -- TAG, had also decided to give their Tech Support business to them.  This is again an example of their taking the lower bidder for the business. 

Although our customer service group has been able to add Daimler-Chrysler as a new client for our faciliy, giving us a possible 100 job replacements, the loss of the BellSouth Tech Support contract means an additional 400 jobs will be lost.  There are negotiations in the works with a few other clients, including Microsoft, Direct TV, and Cingular, but none of that is certain.  This turn of events means that the local job market just became more competitive by about 400 other similarly qualified individuals. 

The other bit of unpleasant news that has resulted from this turn of events is that even the "savior" contract with Daimler-Chrysler is not all peaches and cream.  The company, ClientLogic, has determined that agents who transfer to that campaign will lose up to $1.50 per hour of the pay they had in the BellSouth campaign.  I just happen to be lucky enough to be in that highest category that would lose the maximum amount.  So even if I were to survive the layoffs, it would have to be at a reduced salary.  For that reason, I'll be polishing up my resume and searching the job listings locally. 

As I was using Blogger's spell checker on this document before publishing it, I encountered this interesting suggestion from the spell checker ...

 
Spell checkers sometimes have a wisdom that's hard to argue with. Posted by Hello







Comments:
Hi Perry,

Love the spell checker suggestion, as that has been my opinion of BellSouth since the early days of internet connectivity when I (mistakenly) assumed my local phone company would surely have the latest and greatest of technical advancements. Instead, I had nothing but problems just dialing in, while all my friends on Mindspring and other providers had wonderful service -- and lower rates.

Full circle, I find myself having to move, and among the options for local phone service, BellSouth *does* appear to be the best choice -- not for technical excellence, but because other options are even more horrid to consider. This limits my geographical options to a very small sliver of the area I have chosen to live in, and may prove prohibitive. But life experience does provide learning... and maybe that's what this is.

I found I can access your blog now that I've borrowed and resurrected an old Pentium I-75, with barely enough memory to get W98 to load. Amazingly, it does run IE6, albeit slowly. It seems nothing (M$) short of IE6 will properly access today's webpages and allow me to surf and research the information I so constantly seek.

Cool setup you have here, and I hope to be able (time-wise) to return often and catch up on what you've been up to. I empathize with your career situation, having barely missed the bi-weekly axe at one of my very early corporate positions. Good luck with the job hunt! I just wish I could be in there with you, as I do so miss being able to work. Maybe someday...

Hope all is well, and I'll get info from you (when I'm not trying to pack and move) about setting up a blog myself. Maybe that's how I'll manage to write my book?

Take care,
--Tom
 
Great to hear from you, Tom. And even more importantly you give me evidence that someone CAN post a comment anonmyously to this blog. I have other users who indicate that they can't get past the "create an account and password" page. What are you doing differently than they are?
 
Oh, one more thing. I failed to post. Here's a link about how to set up a blog for yourself ... and best of all it is FREE!!!

http://feedster.com/tutorials/bloggerbasics/

Good luck and keep in touch.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger