.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
It's news to me
Wednesday, September 04, 2002
 

How I surf

Not that any of you are interested in my surfing habits I realize, but someone out there might be benefit from a couple of tips. First, I use Internet Explorer 5.5. I know there is a later version available but I haven't yet chosen to "upgrade" to it. I'm satisfied with this version. When I see a benefit to a newer version, I'll take the plunge. I also am aware of a plethora of other possibilities, such as Opera or Crazy Browser, but again I am satisfied where I am for the moment.

One thing I do when browsing is that I open multiple instances of the browser. You can achieve this anytime you are about to click on a link by instead RIGHT clicking on the link and choosing "Open in a New Window." Why do this? Well, for one thing you can look at where the link leads without losing your place in the original window. In addition, copying something (such as the URL in the new location) is easily accomplished in this configuration. Often when I am editing this blog, for instance, I want to past a link in this commentary, so I simply open a new window (you can also use CTRL-N to open a second window) and surf to the site whose URL I want to paste, copy it, and then switch back to the other browser where I'm editing the blog and paste it in. In case you aren't aware of the procedure, you can switch between windows by using the ALT-TAB key combination to switch between all open applications on your desktop.

It is only recently that I've begun to open the Favorites window (the long narrow window down the left side of the browser) by clicking on the Favorites icon in the Tool bar in IE. One use I make of that is that I have a lot of favorites saved under the Blogs category. Since I tend to want to go from one blog to another when reading them each day, I can leave that Favorites window open and then just go down the list of links that I have saved. Of course, you can use the Favorites Menu link and then scroll to Blogs and once that is open click on the next blog, but the disadvantage of doing it that way is the fact that you have to open Favorites each time. Once the Favorites Window is open in your browser, the next blog (or any link you have saved) is still open in the left window. Give it a try. You might like it.

Oh, by the way, my friend Lissa Bird has just created a new web page that she is beginning to build at www.caiobaby.com. Check it out and follow her progress.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger