.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
It's news to me
Monday, June 24, 2002
 

Back to Work

After a very brief break (one day off over the weekend), I head back to work today. As I do, I find myself concerned about two things I usually avoid sharing with others -- Budgets and Politics. Here in Tennessee we've seen state legislators spend months deliberating about what to do about the state's shortfall in revenues. They've talked about instituting a state income tax and about cutting services. By the lack of any affirmative plan to increase revenues, they've by default accepted the option of cutting services. Already sitting at 48th in the nation in spending on education, there are bound to be large cuts there, and the quality of my granddaughter's education lies in the balance.

Also the legislators' political choices (or rather lack of action disguised as choices) would affect me here by affecting other things I'm interested in. For instance the local station that carries National Public Radio, WUOT, may have to drop carrying its programs here in Knoxville. That, to me, amounts to de-civilization of my chosen home town. Like it or not politics, state-wide and national, affects each of us. And it's probably too late to act when the truth of that axiom finally dawns on you.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger